Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I qualify for the High School Equivalency Program (HEP)?

    You may qualify to get your GED® through HEP if:

    1. You are at least 18 years old or beyond the state’s compulsory age. Upon notification of acceptance into the program, students at the age of 18 must submit an age waiver from the last school district attended or from the local high school.
    2. Not be enrolled in high school.
    3. Not have a high school diploma or equivalent.
    4. Have qualifying work documentation or have an immediate family member with qualifying work*.
    5. Meet need as determined by: the program, the academic requirements, supporting services and financial support available.

    Work documentation needed: Provide ONE of the following forms of documentation of you or your immediate family’s migrant or seasonal farm worker status:

    • Check stubs that prove you or your immediate family (parent, guardian, head of household) have spent a minimum of 75 days during the past 24 months as a migrant or seasonal farm worker. (Include any work directly related to the production of crops, dairy products, poultry, fish, plants, livestock, cultivation/harvesting of trees.) OR
    • COE: Certificate of Eligibility (migrant status in high school). OR
    • WIA 167 Program (JTPA 402). OR
    • Employment Verification Form

    Students who are 18 years old will also need to have a Request for Approval to Test signed by the last school they attended.

    All students will need to provide a copy of their immunization record that shows that they have received the MMR vaccine.

  • What does HEP provide?

    • Room and Board (Housing and Meals)
    • GED instruction in English and Spanish
    • Tutorial assistance
    • Transportation stipend
    • Small allowance for residential students
    • Books and school supplies
    • Fees for GED testing
    • Post-HEP placement assistance for jobs, vocational training, or college admittance
    • Cultural and academic activities.
  • What is considered 'farm work' or 'agricultural activity'?

    Seasonal Farmwork is an agricultural activity related to the production of crops, dairy products, poultry, livestock, tree logging, fishing, and so forth on a temporary or seasonal basis. 

    Migrant Farmwork is similar to seasonal farmwork in that it includes the same agricultural activities (production of crops, dairy products, poultry, livestock, tree logging, fishing, and so forth) but also requires travel that keeps an employee from returning to a permanent home within the same day.

    Examples of typical activities that are directly related to the production of crops include:  planting; cultivating; weeding; pruning; thinning; fertilizing; and harvesting any type of crop. Similarly, raising, caring for, or milking dairy cattle; working in hatcheries; producing chickens, turkeys or other poultry; raising cattle, sheep, or other livestock are examples of activities related to the production of dairy products, poultry or livestock.

    What are some examples of forestry work? The program will accept activities directly related to the cultivation or harvesting of trees. Cultivating or harvesting of trees includes soil preparation, planting, tending, pruning, and felling, tree cutting, bundling, and planting seedlings for restoration of forests.

    What is the Migrant Education Program, Title I, Part C? The Migrant Education Program, Title I, helps a migrant child who is, or whose parent or spouse is, a migratory agricultural worker; defined as a person who, in the preceding 36 months, has moved from one school district to another, or from one administrative area to another within a State that is comprised of a single school district, in order to obtain temporary employment or seasonal employment in agricultural work, including dairy work. Eligibility for MEP is determined by the state Migrant Education Program.

  • How long does it take to finish the General Education Diploma (GED)?

    Students enrolled in the full time residential program typically earn their GED® in 5 and 8 weeks. The length of time to complete also depends on the academic level of the student when they enter the program.

  • Where is the WSU High School Equivalency Program located?

    We offer a full time GED program in Pullman, Washington.

  • What do I need to bring if I'm staying on campus?

    • Medical Insurance Card
    • Alarm Clock
    • Sheets, blankets, and a pillow for a twin bed
    • Towels and washcloths
    • Deodorant, bath soap, and supplies
    • One interview outfit
    • Toothbrush and toothpaste
    • Kleenex
    • Feminine supplies
    • Shaving cream and razors
    • Clothes hangers
    • Laundry detergent
    • Clothes for all types of weather/ umbrella
    • Comfortable shoes and clothing
    • Cell phone and cell phone charger
    • Government-issued photo ID (foreign or national) in order to take the GED exam. Examples include: a valid driver’s license, learner’s permit, passport, or another form of official government
  • Do I have to stay in the residence halls if I want to participate in the residential program?

    No. If you would rather live at home but want to attend classes in Pullman you may commute to campus. 

  • How do I obtain my GED diploma or transcripts?

    1. Go to: 

    2. Click on: Grads and Transcripts

    3. Select: GED Grads

    4. Select: Washington

    5. Choose: Before 2014